KL Rahul is set to be India’s wicket-taker in the 2023 World Cup with Rishabh Pant unlikely to make it by the September 5 ICC squad submission deadline.
The deadline for the submission of the World Cup 2023 mission has been set. As reported by InsideSport earlier, August 29 will be the preliminary date for the teams to submit while September 5 will be the deadline. Thereafter, all teams must obtain the approval of the ICC Technical Committee. As till September 5, it is almost impossible for India Cricket Team to get Rishabh Pant back in action, BCCI and the selectors want KL Rahul to do the job. Currently recuperating, Rahul will return to action in the 2023 Asia Cup.
“No, it is not possible to get Rishabh back for the World Cup. He needs time, more importantly, more time to get back into his role. Rahul is our designated keeper for ODIs and there are also Ishan and Sanju as backups. a top BCCI official told InsideSport.
ICC on WC Squad Submission Deadline:
“The initial team submission deadlines for our tournaments are 30 days prior to the start of the support periods. Support periods start one week before the tournaments.
Changes may be made prior to the support period without permission being sought, but once the support period begins, the Event Technical Committee must approve substitutions.”
Also Read: VVS Laxman to coach Ruturaj Gaikwad & Co at 2023 Asian Games in Hangzhou
There were initial talks about Rahul being a full-time keeper in Tests as well. But with his physical condition a concern, the selectors did not pursue that avenue. Instead, they are backing Rahul to regain full fitness by the Asia Cup.
Currently in rehab at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bangalore, Rahul has resumed batting practice. He will now gradually increase the intensity of the training over the next few weeks.
KL Rahul is recovering from thigh surgery for an injury sustained in IPL 2023. While he missed the second half of the IPL as well as the WTC 2023 final and the West Indies tour, he is likely to return for the Asia Cup.
“The idea was to have Rahul, Shreyas and Jasprit back for the Ireland series. It would help them get back into the groove. But we are still not sure if Shreyas and Rahul will be fit till then. We have time. We’ll see how they go. They should be eligible for the Asian Cup if all goes well. As for Jasprit, hopefully he can return for the Ireland series. the official added.
World Cup 2023: Where do India stand in injury crisis?
- Jasprit Bumrah: After missing a year of cricket action, Bumrah is on track to be fit for IND vs IRE T20.
- The leading paceman had a recurrence of his back injury during the England tour last year. While he returned for 6 overs but the hasty return cost India dearly. Bumrah missed T20 WC, IPL and WTC Final apart from IND vs WI series.
- Bumrah has now started bowling full tilt at NCA and will play a few practice games this month.
- KL Rahul: He is making good progress after surgery. However, he only started fighting this week and is still a long way from match fitness. He will continue to increase the intensity of training and is likely to return for the Asia Cup.
- Shreyas Iyer: Despite initial hiccups, Iyer is back on track. He also underwent back surgery and has started batting practice. However, he is unlikely to make it on the Ireland tour. But with the series starting only on August 18, the selectors will call him up later this month.
- Rishabh Pants: Despite making remarkable progress since his near-fatal car accident in December, the young batter is a long way from regaining full fitness. He is expected to take another 6-7 months to get back to full fitness.
Follow InsideSport on GOOGLE NEWS / Follow live updates of World Cup 2023 with InsideSport.IN.
#Deadline #submit #World #Cup #squad #September #Rahul #retainer #role